If you participated in The Open last year, you know that 17.4 was also 16.4. I think Becky summed up everyone’s feelings pretty nicely with, “I didn’t want to do this workout last year...and I still don’t want to do it this year.” Well, everyone except Becca Harris, who had been itching for some heavy deadlifts since 17.1. As all of you know, this workout was not a joke. Josh's face below is a great representation of this. Those deadlifts were not light, AND there were 55 of them. I know I got to about rep 25 and thought, “wait...this is literally just the beginning of this workout. I still have wall balls, rowing, and if a miracle happens, handstand pushups.” 17.4 was a great test of not only physical strength, but also endurance and stamina.
As usual, our crew gave 110% during what was probably the longest 13:00 of our lives and we all lived to tell about it. Here are the highlights from 17.4:
- Last year in 16.4, Cara Griswold did RX and only got through 48 deadlifts. This year, she also did RX and got to 34 Calories! That is 96 more reps than last year!!! 96 PEOPLE! THAT’S AMAZING!
- An actual quote from Becky when I asked if anyone did cool things on Friday - “Luke continues to be a general badass and pushes through pain like a champ.” Enough said.
- Jillian Myles’s baby bump has grown exponentially in the last few weeks and she almost finished the calorie rowing at 7 months preggo.
- Julie Crowley and Haley Hall were our only females to get to the handstand pushups. Naturally.
- John Wickes finished with 5 reps of HSPU and said, “I truly have never tried so hard in any workout than I just did.” Somewhere out there, Becky is grimacing with pride.
- Crawford and Matt have been close since college, and continue to stay close -- even in their workouts. While in the end, Matt pushed ahead with three more HSPU than Crawford, but even their tiebreak time was almost the same!
- Becca Harris motored through those deadlifts and finished the 55 cal row with a few seconds to spare. 13 Seconds faster than her previous time. She managed to stay on the rower this year.
- Hroch was the only one to attempt this workout a second time, and got 19 reps better than his first try. He was our only athlete to get back to the deadlifts, and none of us are surprised (but we’re all super duper proud).
- Also, last but not least, I want to give a shout out to Donnie Newell. He rolls in every week, warms up a little, cranks out the workout (usually crushes it), and then immediately goes to hang out with his daughter. He and Athena are a great team and I’ve loved having little mini CrossFitters running around the gym!
What are the current standings? For the ladies: For the dudes: Seriously, great job to everyone that did 17.4. Y’all worked your tails off, and from what I’ve heard, pretty much everyone that did 16.4 saw improvements in 17.4! That is a big deal!
This Friday is 17.5. The last workout of The Open. I think it’s easy to get burned out in a long series like this, but don’t let exhaustion get the best of you. Pay attention to your body and know what days to rest before Friday. Now let’s get amped for 17.5!! McKenzie