The 2017 CrossFit Open is finished. In a unanimous sigh of relief; we are no longer at the mercy of Dave Castro. IMO, I thought 17.5 was the worst one. So bad that I think Dave’s brother, Ronnie, sums up all of our feelings in this video. Thrusters and double unders are the stuff of nightmares, man. Programming 10 rounds of 9 thrusters (that’s ninety thrusters in case you were wondering. 90. 9-0.) leaves us sucking air after approximately the 2nd round. And THEN, tossing in 35 of potentially one of the most frustrating skills in all the CrossFit land can be (read: was) downright defeating. HOWEVER, from what I heard (because vacation), everyone at Renew not only rose to the challenge, but crushed it. Coach Becky even wrote a sentimental insta post about it. That’s how you know it’s real. I would link it here, but I’m scared of her. This is where I leave you:
- Everyone beat the time cap by a landslide. I think that’s an accomplishment in and of itself.
- Becky did all 10 sets of the thrusters UNBROKEN like the superhuman she is. I still can’t get over that. She was also really nervous about the double unders, but from what she said, they went better than she anticipated!
- Brian Lange went to happy hour before competing and finished in 11:31 scaled. Maybe that’s the key to a successful workout? Jury’s still out.
- Shannon and Val went sub 10:00 scaled! Sub 10:00!! Reminder: 90 thrusters. Even a PVC pipe would be miserable.
- Cara looked at Hroch halfway through the workout and said, “I will die from this.” She finished in 21:28 Rx and is, in fact, still carrying a pulse.
- Charles thought it was only 9 rounds, so after his 9th set of double unders, he threw his rope and laid on the ground. Jon had to break the news that he wasn’t actually done, and Charles continued to lay on the ground for about another minute. He eventually finished at 26:46 RX.
- Hroch finished first in our gym, at 10:27 RX with Matt Williamson hot on his tails at 13:08 RX. Kbye see you both at Regionals, probably.
- I want to give a huge thank you to Becca Harris for DJing and keeping the hype alive throughout the nights!
- Also, mega thank you to all the members who helped judge! Shannon jumped right on it every week! Also, Andrew, Jess, and Jon were there for just about every time I needed a last minute judge and were more than willing. Love and blessings to you all.