Refuel Recipes: The Perfect Instant Pot Sweet Potato
Adapted from Rachel Cooks:
Annnnnnnnd, we’re back with another round of Refuel Recipes! In case you’re new to the gym or to the fact that our gym also runs a sweet blog, each month we are focusing on one key ingredient that’s both delicious and nutritious and teaching you how to incorporate it into your diet in a realistic, sustainable way!
This month: Sweet potatoes! If you’re only experienced with these tuberous (and tubular!) root vegetables is your great aunt’s thanksgiving sweet potato (but mostly marshmallow) casserole, we’re glad you’ve decided to join us on this culinary journey. Sweet Potatoes, just like their boring cousin, can be prepared in many ways: they can be baked, boiled, mashed, roasted, etc. Unlike their boring cousin, the sweet potato’s natural higher sugar content makes them an excellent component in baked goods and desserts!
So, what’s so great about ‘em? Sweet potatoes are a killer carbohydrate source – around 40g per medium potato. Because they are high in fiber and low in sugar you get the fuel you need for life without any major crash risk (in other words, sweet potatoes are a “slow carb”). They also are a great source of Vitamins C, D, beta-carotene (good for eyes, skin and immunity), and minerals such as iron, potassium and magnesium. Additionally, sweet potatoes, when stored in a cool, dry and dark place can keep for weeks or even months! Lastly, they are cheap!
Now for our first sweet potato recipe. We’re keeping it simple to start. Gotta air squat before you can overhead squat, you know? This week…
The Perfect Instant Pot Sweet Potato! Here are some great things about this recipe:
- You can make multiple perfect potatoes at a time.
- You can make multiple perfect potatoes at a time quickly.
- You can make multiple perfect potatoes at a time quickly without stabbing them all 1,000 times with a fork.
Need I say more?
The Perfect Instant Pot Sweet Potato
Serving size: 1 medium sweet potato | Number of servings: as many as your Pot allows
Nutrition facts per serving: Calories – 150 | Fat – 0g | Carbs – 40g | Protein – 4g
Prep time: 5m | Cook time: 30m
- 5-7 medium Sweet Potatoes (number depends on your Instant Pot
- 1 C water
- Prepare your Instant Pot by plugging it in and placing the steamer basket inside.
- Prepare your sweet potatoes by scrubbing them until they are clean.
- Pour water into the Instant Pot.
- Place sweet potatoes inside/on top of your steamer basket.
- Secure the lid and make sure the valve is set to “seal”.
- Use the manual mode on your IP and set to pressure cook on high for 15 minutes.
- Once cook time is finished, let the pressure in release naturally until the pressure valve releases (this should take about 10 minutes).
- Remove the lid and enjoy your perfect sweet potatoes. They can also be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days.