Refuel Recipes: Sweet Potato Muffins
Welcome back! Just to review, each month, we’re gonna focus on one key ingredient that’s both delicious and nutritious and teach you how to incorporate it into your diet in a realistic, sustainable, tasty way!
This month: Sweet potatoes! ICYMI, this tuberous root vegetable (although for nutrition purposes we should consider it a starch) is packed with slow-burning carbohydrates, vitamins C, D, and tons of beneficial vitamins and minerals. They are wonderfully versatile and, when stored correctly, can stay good for weeks or even months.
For a full recap, check out our first sweet potato recipe here.
So far, we have seen sweet potatoes three different ways: cooked to perfection in the instant pot, as snackable and stackable rounds and atop a dreamy shepherd’s pie . We’re rounding out this month with a fourth & final freaking delicious recipe: Sweet potato muffins! Yes, you read that correctly. Super moist, nutritious, satisfying MUFFINS! They are also vegan and take less than 10 ingredients to whip up if we didn’t already have your undivided attention.
Sweet Potato Muffins
Serving size: 1 muffin | Number of servings: 12
Nutrition facts per serving: Calories – 85 | Fat – 3g | Carbs – 23g | Protein – 2g
Prep time: 10m | Cook time: 25m
- 2 ½ cups sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
- ¾ cup coconut milk (carton, not canned)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 and prep muffin tin by greasing or adding liners
- Place cooked sweet potato, coconut milk and vanilla in a blender and blend until smooth
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients
- Transfer sweet potato mixture from the blender into the bowl of dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until combined
- Spoon batter into tins until all are filled to the top
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
- Cool for 15-20 minutes before digging in. *This is going to be tough, but it’s important. We believe in you!*
- Roasting the sweet potatoes is actually the most time consuming part of this recipe. All it takes in 45-50 minutes in the oven at 425 degrees or a quick trip in the instant pot
- Feel free to customize with add-ins! Chopped nuts, dried fruit or dark chocolate chips are some of our favorites! Fold these ingredients in after step 4.
- To make gluten free, use an all-purpose gluten-free flour mix. Avoid using only almond/coconut flour.
- Instead of coconut milk, you can use any other plant-based milks or regular milk.