Refuel Recipes: The Perfect Freezer Breakfast Sandwich
I’m a sucker for a good road trip. Or, more specifically, I’m a sucker for a good road trip breakfast. There’s just something about precariously eating a warm to-go breakfast with one hand as the purple sunrise sky takes shape. And do you want to know what the absolute best on-the-road and eat it in-the-car breakfast food is?
Starbucks’ Egg White and Turkey Bacon Breakfast Sandwich with a Grande Blonde Americano — with steamed cinnamon half-and-half.
But after a recent (long) road trip back home from Colorado, I thought to myself, why limit this first-meal feast to just the road? So I set out to recreate it. And after a few fails/iterations, the perfect freezable and reheatable breakfast sandwich was born. Packed with protein and pleasantly preppable, this recipe is great for feeding a crowd or adding to your meal prep routine. It’s easy to double, triple and even quadruple depending on your appetite/size of your household and you can swap out the turkey bacon to suit your breakfast meat preferences.
Hope you like them — and don’t forget the coffee!
The Perfect Freezer Breakfast Sandwich
Serving size: 1 sandwich | Number of servings: 6
Nutrition facts per serving: Calories – 370 | Fat – 13g | Carbs – 31g | Protein – 33g
Prep time: 15m | Cook time: 25m
- 1 package 6-count whole-grain or sprouted-grain english muffins (I used Ezekiel brand)
- 6 eggs
- 6 egg whites
- 1 package turkey bacon
- 6 slices sharp white cheddar cheese
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spray a 9X9 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Whisk together eggs and egg whites, add to baking dish, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook eggs for 18-22 minutes, just until middle is set. Don’t overcook.
- While eggs are cooking, cook turkey bacon to desired doneness with preferred method (stovetop, oven or microwave)
- When eggs are done cooking, remove and *let cool completely*. This will prevent soggy sandwiches. Once cool, cut eggs into 6 even pieces.
- Assemble your sandwiches! One english muffin topped with egg square, 2 slices of turkey bacon and one slice of cheese.
- If consuming right away, heat sandwiches at 350 degrees for 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
- If freezing, wrap each sandwich in foil or parchment paper and store in a ziploc bag or tupperware for up to 1 month.
- To reheat, unwrap sandwich and wrap in a slightly damp paper towel. Microwave on 50% power (or defrost) for 1-minute. Flip sandwich and microwave in increments of 20 seconds until the center is heated through. You can also reheat sandwiches in the oven at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes.