You know when you find a recipe that is so perfect you could eat it year-round? This, my friends, is one of those recipes! Nourishing, incredibly flavorful, full of easy ingredients and even easier on the bank account — this curry’s got it all. Another thing I adore about this curry is that it’s highly adaptable. It’s vegan and veggie friendly, but can easily be beefed up (literally and figuratively) with some shredded protein and more veggies for a wider variation. I would suggest serving it alongside colorful roasted veggies or under tender grilled chicken, but the options are endless.
Sweet Potato, Lentil, and Coconut Curry (Vegetarian, Vegan friendly)
Serving size: ~1.5 Cups | Number of servings: 6
Nutrition facts per serving: Calories – 313 | Fat – 16g | Carbs – 34g | Protein – 11g
Prep time: 15m | Cook time: 45 minutes-1 hour
- 2 Large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite size chunks
- ½ cups green lentils
- 1 ½-14 oz cans of coconut milk
- 1-14 oz can of canned tomatoes
- Handful fresh coriander leaves
- 1 Tbsp turmeric
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional pairing ideas (not included in nutrition facts):
- Shredded chicken
- Grilled fish or beef
- Roasted veggies
- Basmati rice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Place coconut milk, tomatoes, turmeric, cumin and ground ginger in a large cast iron or dutch oven on the stove over medium high heat. Allow to hear until the mixture begins to bubble.
*If you don’t have an oven-safe pan simply use a normal cooktop skillet for this step and then transfer everything into a baking dish*
- Add the sweet potato cubes, lentils, salt and pepper. Mix until everything is incorporated.
- Cook in the oven at 350 for 45 minutes – 1 hour until the potatoes are soft.
- Add your pre-cooked, optional pairing, salt and pepper to taste and the juice of 1 lemon before serving.