A Nutrition Nugget with Lauren Bratcher, Nutrition Coach
Welcome back to Refuel Recipes! Each month, we’re gonna focus on one key ingredient that’s both delicious and nutritious and teach you how to incorporate it into your diet in a realistic, sustainable, tasty way!
If you are just now tuning in with us, this month we’re obsessed with oats. A super versatile, super-good-for-you source of fiber and carbohydrates, oats should be a pantry staple. And hopefully, after this month, we’ve convinced you of that! Before you dive into our final oat-centric recipe, look back at our first oat recipe to learn about the many amazing benefits of incorporating oats into your diet!
Our final oat-centric recipe is just as prep-friendly as the previous three, warm and cozy on a cold morning and gives us one more reason to swoon over the Instant Pot. This recipe is adapted from Skinnytaste.
Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats
Serving size: 1 cup of prepared oatmeal plus toppings | Number of servings: 8-10
Nutrition facts per serving: Calories – 235 | Fat – 3g | Carbs – 50g | Protein – 7g
Prep time: 5m | Cook time: 20m
- 4 cups steel cut oats
- 12 cups water
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 5 tbsp honey or pure maple syrup
- Toppings for or serving:
- ½ banana (sliced, mashed, whatever suits you)
- Milk of choice
- Ground cinnamon
- Combine the oats and water in the bowl of your pressure cooker and stir.
- Add cinnamon sticks, cover and cook for 6 minutes on high pressure.
- Allow pressure to release naturally.
- Remove cinnamon sticks and discard.
- Stir in blueberries and honey or maple syrup.
- To prep for a week of glorious breakfasts, portion out 1 cup of oatmeal into each plastic or glass container.
- To reheat, microwave for 2-3 minutes, until warm then add toppings.